Negative Self Talk

Today I'd like to talk about negative self talk.  Most of us do it and it's not always detrimental to our wellness.  An example might be if I were to spill something in the kitchen and I say to myself sarcastically, either aloud or in thought... nice going Suzanne!  Another example is if I took a test and failed, and said to myself, you're such a loser!  When negative thoughts become invasive they can
interfere with our self-esteem, social interactions, love/family/friend relationships, employment, and more and then they become a mental wellness issue.  A therapist might work with a client to help them to identify these negative statements and the root beliefs associated with them, and perhaps where they originated. 

Negative self-talk is linked to our feelings, thoughts and behaviors.  For instance, when I told myself I was a loser after failing a test, I felt sad and useless and thought badly of myself, leading me to not want to talk to my friends or family and sulk in private.  Continuous self talk like this can lead to anxiety and depression.

Therapists can help their clients to identify negative self-talk and replace it with healthier thoughts.  For example, after I failed the test, I could replace the negative statement with, wow that was rough, I'll study better next time and crush it!  For more information, please check out my website, suzanneperry.com or edelmancounseling.com/suzanne.



Visit my Psychology Today profile to find out more about me and how to contact me.



--Suzanne Perry is registered with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences as an Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (132904) and Associate Professional Clinical Counselor (11290).  She currently practices at Edelman Counseling in Westlake Village, under the supervision of Marina Edelman, LMFT (51009).  

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Pre-Marital Counseling: Questions to Ask Before Saying "I Do"